A five-alarm fire broke out in New York City on Sunday, caused by a battery from an e-bike. The fire spread quickly, forcing firefighters to work for hours to contain it.
The incident occurred in a building located in the Astoria neighborhood of Queens. The building housed several businesses, including a grocery store and a deli. No injuries were reported, but the building sustained significant damage.
According to the New York City Fire Department, the fire was started by a lithium-ion battery from an e-bike that was being stored in the basement of the building. The battery exploded, igniting the fire and causing it to quickly spread throughout the building.
Firefighters worked for several hours to get the blaze under control, with more than 200 firefighters and 50 units on the scene. The firefighters were able to contain the fire to the one building, preventing it from spreading to neighboring structures.
The incident has raised concerns about the safety of lithium-ion batteries, which are commonly used in e-bikes, smartphones, and other devices. It is important to store and charge these batteries in a safe and appropriate manner, and to never store them near flammable materials.
The New York City Fire Department is reminding residents to take precautions when storing and charging batteries, and to never store them near combustible materials. While e-bikes are becoming increasingly popular, it is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with their batteries and to take steps to prevent fires like this from happening again.
Source : FOXNews