As a parent, one of the features you can rely on to keep your kids safe online is Ask to Buy. This feature, available through Family Sharing, allows your kids to ask your permission before making purchases on their devices. But what if Ask to Buy not working as it should? In this blog post, we look at some of the reasons why Ask to Buy might not work and how to troubleshoot the issue.
Possible reasons why Ask to Buy is not working:
There are a number of reasons why Ask to Buy may not be working:
Parental controls are not set correctly:
If you have recently set up Family Sharing, the parental controls may not be set up correctly. To check, go to Settings > Screen Time > Family Sharing and make sure you have set up the parent/guardian account correctly.
The child has reached their spending limit:
Another reason why Ask to Buy may not work is that your child has reached their spending limit. To check, go to Settings > Screen Time > Family Sharing and select your child’s account. From here you can see how much money your child has left to spend.
Payment method needs updating:
If your payment method has expired or needs to be updated, your child may not be able to make purchases and Ask to Buy will not work. To check, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Payment Information.
Sometimes, connectivity issues can cause Ask to Buy to not work properly. Make sure both your device and your child’s device are connected to a stable Internet connection.
Ask to Buy troubleshooting:
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue:
- Update Software: Ensure that your and your child’s devices have the latest software updates installed. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check.
- Restart Devices: Sometimes, a simple restart can help fix the issue. Try restarting both your and your child’s devices and see if that helps.
- Check Parental Control Settings: Go to Settings > Screen Time > Family Sharing and ensure that the parental control settings are set up correctly.
- Check Spending Limits: Ensure that your child has not reached their spending limit by going to Settings > Screen Time > Family Sharing and selecting your child’s account.
- Update Payment Method: If your payment method needs updating, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Payment Information and update it.
- Contact Apple Support: If none of these steps works, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance.
Why am I not getting ask to buy notifications on my iPhone?
If you’re not receiving “Ask to Buy” notifications on your iPhone, there could be several reasons why. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take:
- Check your Family Sharing settings: “Ask to Buy” notifications are only sent to parents or guardians who have set up Family Sharing and enabled “Ask to Buy” for their child’s account. To check if you have “Ask to Buy” enabled, go to Settings > Your Name > Family Sharing > Your Child’s Name, and make sure the toggle next to “Ask to Buy” is turned on.
- Check your child’s device: If your child is not receiving “Ask to Buy” notifications, make sure their device is up to date with the latest software updates. Also, check if “Ask to Buy” is enabled on their device. To do this, go to Settings > Your Name > Family Sharing > Your Child’s Name, and make sure the toggle next to “Ask to Buy” is turned on.
- Check your device settings: If you have “Ask to Buy” enabled and your child’s device is up to date, but you’re still not receiving notifications, check if your device is set up to receive them. To do this, go to Settings > Notifications > Screen Time > Ask to Buy, and make sure the toggle next to “Allow Notifications” is turned on.
- Check your network connection: If your device is not connected to a Wi-Fi network or cellular data, you may not receive “Ask to Buy” notifications. Make sure your device is connected to the internet before expecting to receive notifications.
If none of these troubleshooting steps work, contact Apple Support for further assistance.
“Ask to Buy” is a great feature for parents to keep their children safe online. However, sometimes it may not work as it should due to various reasons, such as parental control settings, spending limits, payment method, or connectivity issues. By following the troubleshooting steps above, you should be able to resolve the issue and get “Ask to Buy” up and running again in no time.
How do I turn on request to buy?
To turn on request to buy, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on your name at the top of the screen.
3. Select “Family Sharing” from the list of options.
4. Tap on your child’s name.
5. Toggle on the switch next to “Ask to Buy.”
Once you’ve turned on request to buy, you’ll receive a notification on your device every time your child tries to make a purchase. You can then approve or decline the purchase request directly from the notification.